Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Community Discussion What have you learned so far? Reply To: What have you learned so far?

• Ben and April

February 2, 2021 at 3:31 pm

WHERE TO BEGIN??? So many things!

The first thing that comes to my mind is learning the difference between hypoglycemia and insulin resistance and how to recognize them both. I am hypoglycemic, and my husband is insulin resistant. We have been trying to lose weight together, but now we see that our needs are different. This information helped motivate us to be as strict as we needed to be with keto. Before learning about exactly how blood sugar and insulin work, we would fudge often, because we didn’t understand how the carbs were actually affecting the big picture and the long-term implications. We are much more willing to pass up starches and treats now because we know more about the effects of blood sugar dysregulation overall.

Understanding how we are different has actually helped us be able to work together more effectively in fine tuning our nutritional goals. Now we know exactly what parts of our diets will work for both of us, and which parts we will do separately. For example, intermittent fasting feels really good for him, but it ruins me for days. Now we understand why, and we know we can focus on doing the same things during the time that he will be eating. It’s easier to support each other knowing how our chemistry is different, rather than being disappointed that we aren’t both following through with doing the same thing.