Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Ask Katrina Epsom Salts Reply To: Epsom Salts

• Katrina

Administrator
    December 31, 2020 at 3:36 pm

This is a great question Amy! And a great example of how it is so hard to make good choices.

I think that both are great options as magnesium is always best absorbed transdermally (through the skin). This is why oral magnesium supplements are often used as laxatives – because they are not absorbed well through the GI tract.

I would agree, usually you would always want to opt for natural over synthetic. Although in this case I have not seen any evidence that the synthetic form is a negative aspect.

Another aspect to this is that Epsom salts are not just magnesium, but also sulfur. Sulfur is also a super important mineral so I like the Epsom salts just as much for the sulfur. It is essential in your detox pathways in your liver as well as in the production of glutathione, your body’s own master antioxidant. Think about the MSM supplement which is especially great for joints and inflammation – it’s the sulfur in it that is magic. So it’s both the magnesium AND the sulfur together in the Epsom salts that are so helpful.

When you add in the huge price difference, I would stick with the Epsom salts unless some clear research/evidence comes out that it is indeed a bad thing.